- 250g pack beetroot (not in vinegar), diced
- 1 eating apple, cut into wedges then thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- juice ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- small bunch coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- For the fish
- 4 mackerel fillets, halved widthways
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 4 slices sourdough bread or ciabatta
Mix the beetroot, apple, onion, lemon juice, oil, cumin and coriander together, season well, then set aside while you cook the mackerel. Heat the grill to high. Put the fish onto a sheet of foil on the grill rack, sprinkle over the curry powder, drizzle with oil, then season and rub well into the fish.
Grill for 4-5 mins until the skin is crisp and the fillets are cooked through; you won’t need to turn the fish over. Toast the bread in a toaster or alongside the fish under the grill, then drizzle with a little olive oil. Top with the salsa and mackerel, then pour over any pan juices and eat straight away.